The winners were announced today at the Hyatt Regency in Irvine for the 14th Annual Orange County Business Journal’s Family Owned Business Awards. Sponsored by Opus One Bank, Burkhalter Kessler Clement & George LLP, CSU Fullerton Center for Family Business, and Wells Fargo. The keynote speaker was Alan Gladstone of Anna’s Linens, a former winner of the Family Business awards in 2007. His story of hard work, honestly and perseverance was very inspiring. There were over 51 applicants and only five were selected in these categories:
- Longevity Award: The Dana Wharf Sportfishing Whale Watching Company which was started over 50 years ago.
- Up-and-Coming Business Award: Behavioral Health Works company that helps children with autism
- Small Business Award: MacGillivry Freeman films, the makers of IMAX films and they began in 60’s filming surf movies.
- Medium Business Award: Rogers Gardens in Corona del Mar, family owned for over 35 years.
- Large Business Award: Nektar Juice Bar. A husband-and-wife that started out with one shop and now have 30 all around California