The new ranch community of Rancho Mission Viejo is comprised of more than 17,000 acres of permanent open space and approximately 6,000 acres of future residential and mixed-use development. Encompassing nearly 23,000 acres owned by the O’Neill/Avery/Moiso family since 1882, Rancho Mission Viejo is Orange County’s last working ranch.
Pursuant to a comprehensive County of Orange-approved open space preservation and land use management plan, approximately 75% of the family ranch lands will be preserved as part of a larger habitat conservation area known as The Reserve at Rancho Mission Viejo and 25% will be developed into multiple villages. Combined with additional open spaces already dedicated by the Rancho Mission Viejo family, The Reserve will grow to nearly 21,000 acres. Ultimately, The Reserve will be combined with County-owned lands to form the 33,000-acre Southern Subregion Habitat Reserve, one of California’s largest and most diverse habitat reserves.
Sendero encompasses approximately 690 acres and has been planned to include the following:
- Approximately 940 attached and detached homes and 200 apartment homes
- The gated active adult enclave of Gavilan, providing 285 single-level residences adjacent to a private clubhouse and recreational facilities
- A centrally located community hall, clubhouse and recreational core for all Sendero residents
- A 15-acre community park with sports fields and children’s play area
- Several neighborhood parks and hiking/biking trails with direct access to Reserve trails and a County Regional hiking/biking trails network leading to downtown San Juan Capistrano, the Mission San Juan Capistrano and south to Doheny Beach
- A 10-acre retail plaza, office space, fire station, and child day care center
- Improvements to Ortega Highway (as part of the South County Roadway Improvement Plan), including the installation of dedicated trails for Neighborhood Electrical-powered Vehicles (NEVs)
The community of Rancho Mission Viejo is a development partnership between Rancho Mission Viejo, LLC (managing partner) and DMB Associates, an Arizona-based, diversified real estate company with holdings in Arizona, California, Hawaii and Utah.
Sendero on the Ranch is situated immediately south of the community of Ladera Ranch and immediately east of the City of San Juan Capistrano, in the vicinity of the intersection of Ortega Highway and Antonio Parkway/La Pata Road. Sendero serves as an eastern gateway to the scenic San Juan Valley.